State of Kansas Resources

State of Kansas Resources

Click here for more information about Insurance programs in Kansas, such as Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program.

Care for the Uninsured or Underinsured

It can be challenging to find affordable care. The following resources may be able to assist you if you are uninsured:

Kansas Community Mental Health Centers (CMHCS):Twenty-seven community mental health centers provide mental health services to Kansans from all counties of the state. Community Mental Health Centers provide services to persons regardless of insurance and ability to pay. Sliding scale fees may apply. To find a CMHC in your area click here.

Kansas Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)Federally-funded health centers provide health care services regardless persons regardless of insurance and ability to pay. Sliding scale fees may apply. For information one of the 39 FQHCs in Kansas go to:

Kansas Association for the Medically Underserved (KAMU)KAMU represents nonprofit primary care clinics, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), local health departments, and rural health clinics. KAMU member Community Health Centers and Primary Care Clinics provide services for all, regardless of their ability to pay.

To find a clinic in Kansas go to:

For a list of clinics that provide behavioral health services go to:  

Community Resources, specific to Kansas

Kansas Mental Health Resources: For a list of all mental health resources in Kansas, including CMHCs, Consumer Run Organizations, inpatient treatment facilities and other support and advocacy groups.

Kansas Resource Guide: The Kansas Resource Guide is a collaborative effort to connect consumers and service providers with resources and services for women, infants, children, youth, and people with disabilities in Kansas. For more information, visit  or call 1-800-332-6262

Kansas United Way 2-1-1: The United Way 2-1-1- is three digit dialing code designated to provide widespread access to human services, community information and referral. Each county in Kansas is connected to a 2-1-1 service. Simply dial 2-1-1 on your phone or visit to find Kansas community resources.

Kansas Infant and Toddler Services: Infant and Toddler Services (also known as Tiny K, early intervention or Part C) provides a range of services such as early identification, screening, and assessment, medical services as needed for diagnostic or evaluation purposes, psychological services, family training, counseling, and home visits, social work services, service coordination and other services for infants and toddlers with disabilities (birth through 2) and their families. To find a program near you, click local networks on

Kansas Head Start and Early Head Start:  Head Start is comprehensive child development program that provides education, health, nutrition, and social services, including mental health services to young children and their families. Early Head Start is a community-based program for low-income families with infants and toddlers and pregnant women. The intensive, comprehensive, child development program reinforces and responds to the unique strengths and needs of each individual child and family through weekly home visits and collaborative partnerships in community child care settings. To find a Head Start or Early Head Start program near you, go to

Kansas Schools

Local School Districts: Many Kansas schools have mental health professionals, such as school social workers or school psychologists, who can work with children and families and/or connect them with mental health mental health services in their communities.

Special Education Services If a child is identified with a serious emotional or mental health problem, special education services are available through local school districts.
Early Childhood Special Education: For children ages 3-5 years old, early childhood special education services provide screening for children with a developmental concern, including mental health or social-emotional concern.  If a serious emotional or mental health problem is identified, early childhood education services (also known as Part B services) are available. Find your local early childhood special education program, by visiting 

Colleges or Universities: Most Kansas colleges and universities have reduced fee or free mental health services through their education or training programs. Services may be available for both students and the community.