ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. For these problems to be diagnosed as ADHD, they must be out of the normal range for a child’s age and development.
The child should have an evaluation by a doctor if ADHD is suspected. Evaluation may include:
- Parent and teacher questionnaires (for example, Connors, Burks)
- Psychological evaluation of the child AND family, including IQ testing and psychological testing
- Complete developmental, mental, nutritional, physical, and psychosocial examination
This talk will discuss the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of ADHD in children.
- Review clinical approach to assessment and diagnosis of ADHD
- Review revised guidelines regarding behavior management
- Review AAP recommendations regarding medication management
- Summarize medications available for use for children